Monday, January 17, 2011

woody allen at iu

I have a new job at the IU School of Journalism. 2011 marks 100 years of Journalism at IU, and a huge portion of the work I'm doing involves promoting the Centennial Celebration (which will be held here in Bloomington this coming September 16-18). (wink!)

Anyway, while finding information for past staff members at the Indiana Daily Student, I've been browsing through old issues of the paper in these huge heavy archive books. It's fascinating. These books are literally bigger than my torso (which makes them a bit of a hassle to handle) and it's so cool to see what was happening here when I was just a child, or in some cases, when my parents were children. Coolest to me was coming across an announcement that Woody Allen would be visiting campus on the night of December 4, 1965. (I love Woody Allen.)


Here's the ad found in the December 4, 1965 IDS.

On December 5, 1965, the IDS ran a story about Mr. Allen's visit to campus. He gave two separate performances, both of which were sparsely attended. He told funny stories about his ridiculous childhood. (I guess if you missed these performances, you could just watch some Woody Allen movies to catch up.) And he shared that he was currently getting ready to film Take the Money and Run. He was also planning to go to Las Vegas the next week, but was certain he would have plenty of time to write there "because he finds Las Vegas 'one of the most boring places' he's ever been."

No comments:

Post a Comment